It apparently has been a busy day for Ky. After I was done writing my last post I went to check on my boys. I noticed they Ky's eye was looking a little puffy. I thought it was odd, but didn't do anything about it. Then a little bit later his eye looked worse and he felt warm and he had a temp. Still, I thought it was odd, gave him some motrin and started making dinner. After dinner Ky went upstairs, when he came down BOTH eyes were really swollen and it looked to me like his lips were starting to swell. Now I KNEW this wasn't normal, so I called the Dr. on call at my pediatricians office (of course all of this always has to happen after hours). She told me that I needed head the the ER or instacare ASAP. As I was talking to her I went to look at Ky again to give her a better description of what he looked like and his lips were puffing up almost right before my eyes. The Dr. told me I needed to give him benadryl RIGHT NOW and take him in. At this point I am starting to get worried. Brad threw Ky in the car and we were off. I was so worried that his throat would start to swell and he wouldn't be able to breath, I raced to the doctor. Now let me tell you, if you don't want to wait to be seen at the instacare, tell them your kid is having an allergic reaction and you are worried his throat might be the next thing to swell. I didn't even have to sit down, we were taken right back. The Dr. came in and long story short decided it wasn't cellulitis (that would be bad, my pediatrician was worried about that), and she decided to give him a strep culture because his throat looked really red. Sure enough, he has strep (round 2 for the winter). We aren't sure if the strep and the allergic reaction were related (the intacare Doc seemed to think they are...i'm not so sure) or if he ate something at preschool and had an allergic reaction AND happened to have strep at the same time. We had to hang out at the office for 2 hours while they made sure he was going to be ok, and that he wasn't getting worse. We left with a prescription for an antibiotic and an epipen. I swear, it is always something with my kids. So now I am on a mission to find out what caused all of this, so stay tuned. Leave it to a Hartley boy...I should have been a doctor.
5 comments:
That kid! I swear every time I hear from you one of your kids (ky mostly) has some medical problem! Thank goodness for health insurance--something we don't have at the moment :(
How scary. I hope he gets better soon.
I agree that you should have been a doctor. Can you take medical tests w/out going to school, because you have learned more with your boys than any med student. I'm glad things seem to be going better now. Chin-up right :) Your amazing Heavenly Father knew you could handle all of this craziness right. Now it's time for a day, I mean a week at the spa.
from grandma the nurse...strep is an interesting bacteria, it is always important to get antiobiotics going quickly. It is the toxin that produces the various allergic reactions. If Ky has no immune antitoxin ( and many people do not) then he is subject to reactions to this nasty bacteria. Keep up the goodwork mom. I think you are awesome. Love and hugs!
I hope he is doing better by now! How scary!
Post a Comment